VALUING BLACK LIVES 2017: THE THIRD ANNUAL GLOBAL EMOTIONAL EMANCIPATION SUMMIT℠
Valuing Black Lives 2017: The Third Annual Global Emotional Emancipation Summit, Friday, September 22
Washington. DC. Washington Convention Center in conjunction with the Annual Legislative Conference of the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation
Level 3, Ballroom Pre-Function, South Building
This year’s Summit, “The Why and How of Emotional Reparations,” will focus on deepening our collective understanding of the emotional harm caused by the centuries-old anti-African, anti-Black narrative, and strategies for repairing the harm.
Confirmed panelists include:
- Adjoa A. Aiyetoro, Human Rights Lawyer and Reparationist (Moderator)
- Dr. Maysa Akbar, author of Urban Trauma: A Legacy of Racism
- Dr. Lisa Delpit, author of Other People’s Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom;
- Baba Leonard Dunston, Convener of the Black Family Summit of the Institute of the Black World 21st Century
- Allen Kwabena Frimpong, Network Organizer for Within Our Lifetime
- Kamm Howard, of N’COBRA, the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America
- Dr. Bryan Nichols, clinical psychologist in private practice in Los Angeles.
SEPTEMBER 22, 5:30-7:30 PM.
CHN’s Community Healer Awards recognizing exceptional contributions to healing the emotional legacies of enslavement, colonialism, and racism across the African Diaspora.
We are delighted to announce the recipients of our 2017 Community Healer Awards.
- Organizers Erricka Bridgeford, Ellen Gee, Ogun, Jakia Jones,Michelle Shellers, and Darnyle Wharton
- Dr. Ron Daniels, President of the Institute for the Black World 21st Century
- Baba Leonard Dunston, Convener, Institute for the Black World 21st Century Black Family Summit
- Margaret Powell, Urban Educator and leader of the Emotional Emancipation Circle in Baltimore Zip Code 21217
- Symone Sanders. CNN Commentator
- Erika Totten, Organizer, #BlackLivesMatterDMV
- Wombwork Productions
- Leaders Mama Rashida Forman-Bey and Mama Kay Lawal-Muhammad
The Awards will be presented on Friday, September 22, 2017
Reception to be held at Saints Paradise Café, 601A M Street NW, Washington, DC